FAQs About Forming a California Professional Physician Assistants Corporation

Licensed physician assistants here in San Diego and the rest of California can form California professional physician assistants corporations through which to operate their practices. Physician assistants cannot form regular corporations or limited liability companies or any other form of corporate entity. If you are ready to form your professional physician assistants corporation, an experienced San Diego corporate attorney can provide advice and assistance. Here are the answers to a few frequently asked questions (FAQs):

Who May Own a Physician Assistant Professional Corporation?

Under the Moscone-Knox Professional Corporations Act, passed in 1968 by the State Assembly, at least 51% of the shares of a professional physician assistants corporation must be owned by currently licensed physicians assistants. See Cal. Corp. Code, §13400 et seq. The remainder of the shares can be owned by any of the following licensed professionals, as long as these professionals do not outnumber the amount of physician assistants holding shares:

  • Licensed physicians and surgeons
  • Registered nurses
  • Licensed acupuncturists
  • Naturopathic doctors
  • Licensed midwives

Who May be on the Board of Directors?

Any type of corporation is operated by its board of directors at a strategic level. The day-to-day operations are conducted by the senior staff like the President or the Chief Executive Officer. The board is elected by the shareholders. Often, the shareholders, board members, and senior staff overlap with one person having multiple roles. For California professional physician assistants corporations, the members of the board must also from the same licensed healing arts professionals listed above. Senior management must be licensed physician assistants.

Do I Have to Have Other Owners?

No. A California professional physician assistants corporation may be owned by a single licensed physician’s assistant. That person would be the 100% shareholder, the sole director, and the sole member of the senior management- serving as President, Treasurer, and Secretary of the corporation.

What Name Must I Use?

Under California law, your California professional physician assistants corporation must have a unique name. That means, the name you choose cannot already be in use. You must also have words a corporate designator, like “Inc.”, “Corporation”, or “Incorporated”. Finally, under the Business and Professions Code, your corporation must contain the words “physician assistant.” See Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code, § 3543.

Who Should I Contact for Help? Contact San Diego Corporate Law Today

For more information, contact attorney Michael Leonard, Esq., of San Diego Corporate Law. Mr. Leonard can be reached at (858) 483-9200 or via email. Mr. Leonard can assist with the formation of your California professional physician assistants corporation and any other business entity — corporations, LLCs, and other forms. Mr. Leonard can also assist with sales, mergers and acquisitions, contract drafting and review including commercial leases, and establishment and licensing of trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets. Like us on Facebook.

You Might Also Like:

What is a Speech-Language Pathology Professional Corporation?

What You Need to Know About California Professional Corporations

Buy-Sell Agreements for California Professional Corporations

California Professional Corporations

Court Reporters Must Operate Through a California Professional Corporation Says Court

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.